Week 50: Your absolute favourite thing to do at the moment it to open and close everything… boxes, containers, bottles, doors, Tupperware. You could spend all day opening and closing, refitting lids and calling me to open any item once the lid gets stuck. You play this game on your own in the morning while I sleep for a little longer. Before I go to bed at night I lay out “open/close” entertainment throughout my bedroom… you always start off opening and closing your toy suitcase which is next to my bed, ultimately ending up sitting inside the suitcase while opening and closing something you find along the way. I then find this so cute that I don’t go back to sleep while you play peacefully but rather stare at how cute you are.
Your absolute favourite thing to open, unpack and close is Kimmy’s wallet. You now “ask” her for it each time you see her and then proudly unpack her cards, cash and anything else you find with glee. Of course, she cannot resist your sweet face or polite asking and hands it over immediately.
Week 51: I cannot keep up with you changes and developments, you are talking constantly to me and signalling all the time to show me exactly what you need. You are eating like a super star and your reactions are quick, sweet and often entertaining. Here are 10 things that caught my eye this week in particular:
- You are standing on your own! At first you were so cautious, just testing yourself slowly and every so often but now it is becoming a more regular occurrence. You don’t last very long standing as you are so proud of yourself and copy my reaction of clapping, so as soon as you stand, you clap and then you fall.
- Your way of looking at book has also changed this week… you really look at each tiny picture and point to different things on the page, you now see the tiny blue butterfly that I have been pointing out since day 1 of reading or you point at the ladybird on the corner of the page as if you have just discovered that it is there.
- You have two ways of saying no… firstly waving both hands and shaking your head – this means absolutely not and will never happen, for example at the end of a meal when you have had enough. And secondly just a hand off and a little shake of the head, that means not now, but maybe just now especially, useful when eating and you aren’t quite ready for another mouthful.
- When you are tired you moan” mama mama mama” until I put you to sleep. When I say the word milkies you drop whatever you are doing and head for my boob.
- At Clamber Club this week you discovered and enjoyed the slide for the first time.
- One morning this week I was getting dressed ad suddenly realised the gate to our two little stairs wasn’t closed, naturally I dashed for it hoping I would catch you before you head down head first. I have been showing you how to go backwards downstairs since you started to crawl and today you did it, no help, no prompting… it’s as if you have always known and know that you faced the challenge on your own you simply turned around and down you went. I shrieked with excitement so the rest of the morning you went up the right way and down backwards.
- You have learnt to sip through a straw. I can’t take credit as Bailey is the one who taught you but you have mastered the skill now and it’s your new favourite thing to do, especially if the reward of sucking on the straw is more than water – you especially like Tasha’s berry smoothies!
- You smack your lips together for kisses to say goodbye although not eveyone gets kisses – mama and papa, Bailey, Kimmy and Wigs and Yolanda. And the random builders who shared the lift with us one outing?!
- You suddenly love shoes and you want them all on your feet, even if they are your mamas high heels or your papas enormous takkies, you want to wear them.
- And finally, you absolutely love climbing into things: suitcases, boxes, baskets… if it has getting in potential you will do it.
I’m thinking constantly of you and me, I feel like you are my team member, constantly together and in tune of each other. During your morning feeds as we sleep in bed together (from 4.30/5ish) you roll and snuggle up close, your legs get comfy on me and your head rests easily, you move and take shape of my body, snuggling in if I am on my side or legs up if I am on my back. It works, you and I.
Week 52: I am in a constant state of shock that you are turning one at the end of this week. It’s so momentous! You are too little to be one.
Papa was away this week so we decided to pack up and go and stay with Kimmy & Bear for a few days. I felt like we headed on a little holiday. Granny nanny is also staying with Kimmy & Bear so it was great fun – you had a ball and your mama was spoilt with late lie ins. Each morning I would go and pop you in bed with Kimmy & Bear and go back to sleep. You played and entertained them for the morning… And each evening we would bath with Kimmy, you were so excited to share her bath you didn’t even want your usual “bath milkies” instead wanting to sit on her lap. On Sunday the twins stayed for bath time too so all 5 of us bathed together and you got cuddled dried by Kimmy.
You are a very determined little thing, knowing exactly what you want. Sometimes you do not want what I have made you for dinner instead pointing to the fridge until I show you what you want – and I am not talking not wanting savoury and instead wanting yoghurt. You rejected mince the other day and actually wanted chicken and broccoli! You are pointing and signalling to me more and more and you do not stop talking – like your mama, I think! We chat in the car, which makes our drives wonderful.
Baby girl, slow down, there is no hurry. Baby girl, you are amazing. My first year of you has been wonderful. I am so honoured to be your mama.
And that’s it! I cannot believe our first 52 weeks are done. I’ll be starting our 2nd year with Francie and a whole new lot of 52 portraits, thanks for reading my journey this year, it has been wonderful to share it with you xxx